- This event has passed.
Spring Plein Air Paint Out at Foxcroft Farm
May 20 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Painting “en plein air” (the French phrase meaning outside or in the open air) captures the spirit and essence of a landscape, enhancing our relationship with the natural world.
Join Kestrel and Amherst Plein Air Society for a spring paint out at Foxcroft Farm in Amherst on Saturday, May 20, from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. In 2017, Kestrel helped conserve 63 acres of agricultural land at Foxcroft stretching between South East Street to the Norwottuck Rail Trail and the Lawrence Swamp Conservation Area. It was one of the last farms in town to be permanently protected, and includes a majestic 18th century–style post and beam barn.
Painters are invited to gather outside to capture on canvas the surrounding landscape with sweeping views toward the Mount Holyoke Range. Whether you paint plein air regularly, want to try painting outdoors for the first time, or simply enjoy watching artists as they create, the event is open to artists of all levels, as well as spectators who register in advance.
- At 9:00 am, artists arrive at Foxcroft to paint for a few hours. Artists should bring their own supplies, including an easel, canvas or paper, and painting or drawing supplies. A member of the Amherst Plein Air Society will be available to welcome artists and advise about set up. Please dress for the weather.
- Beginning at 11:00 am, registered viewers are invited to watch participating artists at work.
- At noon, artists will gather to informally exhibit and critique the paintings created that day; registered viewers welcome.
To participate as a painter: Register here!
(Space is limited; register early.)
To watch participating artists: Register here!
(Note: Parking is limited, so registration is requested for spectators.)
Save the date for the other seasonal plein air events in this series, each of which will be held at a conservation area in the Valley:
- Summer: Saturday, July 15
- Fall: Saturday, October 14
Attendance at all four events is not required. Come to one, two, three, or all four! Registration is per event and will be available as each upcoming program is announced.