- This event has passed.
2024 Plein Air Series Begins This Winter
February 10 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
This year, Kestrel and the Amherst Plein Air Society are once again partnering to offer a 4-part Plein Air Landscape Painting series to celebrate the beauty of each season. This year’s theme focuses on landscapes along the Robert Frost Trail (RFT) in honor of the 150th birthday-anniversary of the four-time Pulitzer Prize winning American poet who taught at Amherst College. It’s also a celebration of Kestrel’s ongoing efforts to revitalize the long-distance trail that bears his name.
The first session will be held at Puffer’s Pond in Amherst, one of the many conservation areas that host a section of the RFT. The spring, summer, and fall events will be held at other Amherst conservation areas through which the RFT passes.
Plein air (the French term meaning outside or in the open air) painting captures the spirit and essence of a landscape enhancing our relationship with the natural world.
Painters are invited to gather outside on an accessible trail to capture on canvas the various picturesque views of the landscape as the RFT traverses the woods near the pond. Whether you paint plein air regularly, want to try painting outdoors for the first time, or simply enjoy watching artists as they create, come join members of the Amherst Plein Air Society for the first “paint out” of 2024 on Saturday, February 10, 12:00-3:00 PM. The event is open to artists of all levels, as well as spectators.
- At noon, artists arrive at Puffer’s Pond to paint for a couple hours. Artists should bring their own supplies, including an easel, canvas or paper, and painting or drawing supplies. A member of the Amherst Plein Air Society will be available to welcome artists and advise about set up. Please dress warmly and bring a hot beverage!
- Beginning at 1:30 pm, the public is invited to wander the area and watch participating artists at work.
- At 2:00 pm, artists will gather to informally exhibit and critique the paintings created that day.
To participate as a painter: Register here!
To watch participating artists: Register here!
Mark your calendar for the other seasonal plein air events in this series (specific locations to be determined):
- Spring: Saturday May 18 (12-4 PM)
- Summer: Saturday July 20 (9 AM-1PM)
- Fall: Saturday October 5 (12-4 PM)
Attendance at all four events is not required. Come to one, two, three, or all four! Registration is per event and will be available as each upcoming program is announced.